"LITLINGTON, (or Littlington)a parish in the hundred of Armingford, county Cambridge, 3 miles north-west of Royston, its post town, and 3 north-east of the Ashwell railway station. The village, which is small, is situated between the ancient Icknield Street and the Roman way to Cambridge. Many Roman cinerary urns and a tesselated pavement were found here in 1822, and were sent to Clare Hall library. The soil is a light white loam and gravel, on a substratum of chalk, and has been much improved by drainage. The great tithes, belonging to Clare Hall, Cambridge, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £550, and the vicarial for £225. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £141, in the patronage of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, has a tower containing 5 bells. The church has several ancient tombs. The register dates from 1662. The parochial charities produce about £17 per annum. There is a newly erected National school: also places of worship for the Independents and Primitive Methodists.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St Catharine is a fine specimen of the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: in the church is a gravestone with an inscription in Norman French, and a memorial to Roger Stoughton, alderman of London, ob. 1690: the church has been restored at a cost or £2,000, and affords 220 sittings. In the churchyard is a Celtic cross of Portland stone, erected n 1919 as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The register dates from the year 1652."
"There is a Congregational chapel, seating about 300 persons." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Litlington, St. Catharine: Records of baptisms 1642, 1654-1946, marriages 1673-1955, burials 1672-1877 and banns 1754-1812, 1823-1908 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1685, 1711-1864 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms and burials 1599-1845 and marriages 1599-1643, 1654, 1664 and 1673-1845. The parish register transcripts for the years 1599-1845 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
"The remains of a large Roman cemetery, containing sepulchral urns and other funeral vessels, were discovered in 1828; a great part of the articles found were at first deposited in Clare College Library, but are now in the Cambridge Geological Museum." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
You can see pictures of Litlington which are provided by:
"George Massop esq. is lord of the manor of Huntingfield, and the trustees of the late Thomas Graham Foster Pigott esq. (d. 1907) hold the manor of Dovedales." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL312426 (Lat/Lon: 52.066200, -0.087404), Litlington which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1694, 1759-63, 1790-1846 and 1865-1948.