Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"LITLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of ARMINGFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Royston, containing 505 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £5.13.7., endowed with £400 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge, The church, which is dedicated to St. Catherine, is principally in the early, with some insertions in the later style of English architecture. A Roman cemetery has been discovered in this parish, whence many cinerary urns and other ancient vessels have been obtained; several Saxon coins, principally of the reign of Burghred, have also been found."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]