GENUKI Home page    Little Downham Parish<br>main page Little Downham
Parish
main page

LITTLE DOWNHAM:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)

"LITTLE DOWNHAM, a parish in the hundred and Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3 miles (N.N.W.) from Ely, containing 1350 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, rated in the king's books at £ 17. 2. 1., and in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. A palace at this place was formerly one of the principal residences of the diocesans, but since the arrest of Bishop Wren, by order of parliament, in 1642, it has gone to decay; there are still considerable remains, the offices having been converted into a farm-house."

[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014