"LITTLE EVERSDEN, a parish in the hundred of Longstow, county Cambridge, 1 mile to the east of Great Eversden, and 7 west of Cambridge, its post town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £188, in the patronage of Queen's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Helen. The register commences in 1703. The charities produce about £50 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Helen, dating from 1294, is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles consisting of chancel, nave north porch and a low embattled western tower with pinnacles and containing 4 bells: the building was partially restored in 1892, at a cost of £500, when a rood staircase was discovered; the church is now furnished with oak stalls designed by Mr. C. F Bodley R.A., F.S.A.: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1541. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Great Eversden, joint net yearly value £320, with glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor who has one turn and Queens' College, Cambridge who have two turns and held since 1925 by the Rev. Lewis Walker M.A. of that college. The advowson was given to Queens' College, Cambridge, in 1572 by John Chetham, of Great Livermore, in Suffolk, in consideration of which benefaction he and his heirs were to have the privilege of nominating to one of the smaller scholarships in that college. In 1775 Mr. Deer left the sum of £100 for the repair of the church, and in 1854 Miss Lydia Leete left £300 Consols, the interest to be spent in coals and clothing for the poor at Christmas there is also a charity for apprenticing poor children belonging to this parish." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Little Eversden, St. Helen: Records of baptisms 1704-1966, marriages 1705-1991, burials 1704-2000 and banns for 1755-1826 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts exist for baptisms 1599-1993, marriages 1599-1991, burials 1660-1993 and banns 1758-1993 (entries pre-1704 are from the Bishop's Transcripts). The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1640, 1665-72 and 1711-1812 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Little Eversden which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1946-48.