Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"LITTLE GRANSDEN, a parish in the hundred of Longstow, county Cambridge, mile south of Great Gransden, 6 miles south-west of St. Neot's, and 3 south-west of Caxton, its post town. There are railway stations at Sandy and St. Neot's on the Great Northern line at equal distances from the village, which is small and wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land or money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1813. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £208, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is modern, and is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. The charities consist of an endowment of £14 to the free school, and about £30 annually, arising from rents, and given to the poor. There is a National school for both sexes.
GREAT GRANSDEN which adjoins Little Gransden, is in Huntingdonshire. ."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of stone of the latter part or the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays aisles and a lofty embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the chancel was restored in 1858 and its east end rebuilt and a stained window inserted by the Rev. Alfred Newby, a former rector, in 1875 : the church was restored in 1885-8, at a cost of £700 and affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1730. " [Kelly's Directory - 1872]
- Church of England
- Little Gransden, SS. Peter and Paul: Records of baptisms 1730-1902, marriages 1730-1969, burials 1730-1812 and banns for 1754-1812 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for the years 1600-1836. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1870 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1946-1948.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Little Gransden which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL270550 (Lat/Lon: 52.178604, -0.144017), Little Gransden which are provided by: