GENUKI Home page    Littleport Parish<br>main page Littleport
Parish
main page

LITTLEPORT:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]

"LITTLEPORT is a parish and large village, in a fenny part of the Isle of Ely and on the banks of the navigable river Ouse, with a station on the Ely and Lynn section of the London and North Eastern railway, 5 miles north from Ely, 78 from London, in the hundred of Witchford, union, petty sessional division, county court district and rural deanery of Ely, archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely.

The soil is fen, and subsoil clay; the fen land has been rendered of great value by skilful draining, and also by the system of claying now generally adopted chief crops are sugar beet, wheat, beans, barley, oats, and potatoes. The area is 17,208 acres of land and inland water; the population of the civil parish in 1921 was 4,467, and of the ecclesiastical parishes: - St. George, 3,290 ; St. Matthew, 604."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards 2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson 2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014