[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"LODE, formerly Bottisham Lode (which includes Long-meadow and Fen), was separated from Bottisham by an Order of the Local Government Board, in November, 1894, and formed into a civil parish. It is a village on the Cambridge and Newmarket road, with a station called Bottisham and Lode, on the Cambridge and Mildenhall line of the London and North Eastern railway, and is 6 miles east from Cambridge, 8 west from Newmarket and 63 from London, in the hundred of Staine, Bottisham petty sessional division, Newmarket union and county court district, rural deanery of Quy and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops arc wheat, barley and oats. The area of the parish (including Bottisham, Lode and Long Meadow) is 3,133 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1921 was 569."
"The ecclesiastical parish of St. James was formed May 1, 1863; the church, erected and consecrated in 1853, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing a clock and 2 bells: during the period 1873-90 it was restored, redecorated and refitted, including in 1886-7 a new roof, provided at a cost of £200, the remaining work; including the erection of a reredos and several stained windows, the total expense amounting to over £600: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1863."
"There is a Baptist chapel, built in 1832 and seating 400 persons. In the centre of the village is a cross of Cornish granite, erected in 1923 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
"Here are the remains of the Priory of Anglesey, founded by Henry I or Richard de Clare for canons of the Augustinian order, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and St. Nicolas: at the dissolution there were 11 canons, and the revenues were estimated at £124: the remains consist of a vaulted room and graduated corbel table connected with a staircase; both are Early English. Anglesey Abbey is the property and residence of Lord Fairhaven. Roger W.B. Jenyns esq. J.P. is lord of the manor of Anglesey and Vauxes; Lord Fairhaven, Messrs. Thomas Webb and Samuel C. and Jonathan C. Fison are the principal landowners, and there are several smaller owners." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]