"LOLWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 3 miles south of Longstanton, and 6 north-west of Cambridge, its post town. The Great Eastern line or railway has a station at Longstanton. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £200. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £182. The church is a plain ancient edifice, dedicated to All Saints. There are charities of about £3 per annum."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of All Saints, situated on a height, dates from the early 14th century, and consists of a chancel, nave, south porch and western tower; the east wall of the chancel, the south porch and the roof, which was restored in 1891, are modern : at one time the church possessed north and south aisles, long since destroyed by fire, when the greater part of the village was demolished, as witness the name of the field adjoining the churchyard, which is still called "Burnt Close": the arcades have been built up and windows of various dates inserted, which probably belonged to the aisles: among the interesting relics of the church are the remains of the rood screen with its rich flowing tracery, a good specimen of the late Decorative period, a beautiful octagonal font of the same period, and the base of an Early churchyard cross: there, are several monuments dating from the 14th to the 16th century; one, an incised alabaster slab, represents two ladies in a standing position, wearing butterfly head-dress, with two shields of arms of the Langley family conjoined and placed between their heads: in 1907 the tower was repaired, and the 3 bells (dated 1713) remaining of an original peal of 5, rehung at a cost of £600; the walls of the nave were closely examined, and beneath the modern plaster, were discovered the carved caps and bases of the arcades; each capital is of a different design, and on them can be clearly seen original 14th century stencillings of various patterns; on the western abutment of the north arcade is an ancient figure fresco, representing the incredulity of St. Thomas: in 1911 the font was repaired, and on its removal from the south wall the base of the church-yard cross was discovered : the north wall of the nave was repaired in 1920, at a cost of £160, as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18; their names are inscribed on a carved oak tablet : during the repairs to the north wall a squint, which formerly gave a view of the altar from the north aisle, and a niche in the interior were revealed: in 1922 a stained east window was erected by J. Frohock esq. of his wife, Emily Helena Frohock; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1537." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Lolworth, All Saints: The parish registers for baptisms 1572-1994, marriages 1567-1646, 1661-1836, 1839-1994, burials 1566-1621, 1668-1812 , 1814-1994 and banns 1754-1898, 1923-1994 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts of baptisms 1572-1920, marriages 1567-1920 and burials 1565-1920 are available in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The parish register transcripts for the years 1572-1920 are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1686 and 1704-1863 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1880-1948.