"LONGSTANTON ALL SAINTS, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 6 miles north-west of Cambridge. The village is small. The bishops of Ely anciently had a palace here, at which Queen Elizabeth was entertained in 1564, when she visited the University of Cambridge. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £155, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"All Saints church is a building of pebble stone in the pure Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south transept, south porch and an embattled western tower with lofty spire, containing 8 bells; the chancel retains a double piscina, triple graduated sedilia, an aumbry and an Early English niche, the remains of a former church which was burnt down in 1349: there is also a piscina in the north aisle, and a very fine octagonal font of the Decorated period, with traceried panels; the tower and spire are Early Perpendicular: the south transept, the burial place of the Hatton family, contains a large altar tomb of alabaster, with recumbent effigies to Sir Thomas Hatton bart. (a former lord of the manor), ob. 23 Sept. 1658, and Mary (Alington) his wife, besides other memorials to this family: the church, including the spire, was restored in 1886-8, at a cost of about £960, of which £300 was contributed by R. H Wood esq. F.S.A. of Rugby. and the chancel in 1891 by Mrs R. H. Wood, at a cost of £300: Mr. Wood, during 1886-8, repaired and decorated the tomb of Sir Thomas Hatton, at a cost of £120, and in 1908 he restored the south transept, or Hatton chapel; three windows which had been blocked up were filled with glass containing coats of arms of the Hatton family: the stained east window was erected in 1891 by Mrs. Wood, at a cost of £250: an organ was presented by Edward H. Liveing esq.: from 1873 to 1912 a total sum of £2,530 was expended on the church: there are 220 sittings. In the church yard is the base of a cross. The register dates from the year 1672." [Kellys Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Long Stanton All Saints: Records of baptisms 1672-1974, marriages 1675-1991, burials 1673-1961 and banns 1754-1812, 1823-34, 1850-1991 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1599-1651, 1661-1974, marriages and burials 1599-1651, 1661-1961; the transcripts of the parish registers for the years 1599-1974 are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1651, 1661-1868 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.