"LONGSTOWE, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Cambridge, 2 miles south of Caxton, its post town, and 12 south-west of Cambridge. The village, which is small, is situated on the old North road. A hospital for poor sisters was founded here in the reign of Henry III. by Walter, then vicar of this parish. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1798. Fossil remains abound in the neighbourhood, consisting of ammonites and bones of large extinct quadrupeds. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, valued in the king's books at £4 8s. 4d. The church is ancient. The register commences in 1558. The charities, arising partly from land and cottages, produce about £30 per annum, and are applied to repairs of the church and relief of the poor. Joseph Simpson, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St Mary the Virgin is a building of brick faced with flint stone, built 1863-1864 on the site of the old church; it consists of chancel, nave, north chapel, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing one hell, and also a peal of six tubular bells presented in 1898 by Mrs. Rushton, to which two others were added in 1903 as a memorial to her: the original church was blown down in 1719, and the monuments to the Cage family which it contained are now in the chancel of the church. The small chapel on the north side was built by the late Captain Sidney Stanley : the stained east window, a memorial to John Sharp esq. of Manchester, and Dorothea his wife, was presented by their children in 1864; the west window was erected by Mrs. Rushton to her three brothers, and in 1904 a memorial window was erected to Mrs. Sharp: the church has 180 sittings. An oak lych gate was erected in 1896 by his widow as a memorial to the Rev. James Rushton M.A. rector here 1852-95. A beautiful rood was erected in 1920 as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The register dates from the year 1569." [Kelly's Directory- Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Longstowe, St. Mary the Virgin: Records of baptisms 1570-1923, marriages 1570-1836, 1839-1989, burials 1570-1812 and banns for 1754-75, 1798-1800, 1810-85 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1679, 1711-56, 1786-1856 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcriptions of baptisms 1568-77, 1584-1861, marriages 1570-77, 1584-1640, 1653-1860 and burials for the years 1569-77, 1584-1861 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Parish register transcripts of Longstowe St Mary the Virgin, 1568-1861, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
"Longstowe Hall is an ancient mansion purchased in Queen Elizabeth's reign by the Cage family, who rebuilt the house; it was acquired by W. A. Briscoe esg. J.F. in 1906: in 1907-12 new terraces and a courtyard were added and extensive interior alterations made: it stands in a park of about 175 acres, and has well laid out pleasure grounds; there are fish ponds in the park, which is well studded with timber besides having good plantations." [Kelly's Directory- Cambridgeshire - 1929]
You can see pictures of Longstowe which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1946-48.