"LONGSTOWE, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Cambridge, 2 miles south of Caxton, its post town, and 12 south-west of Cambridge. The village, which is small, is situated on the old North road. A hospital for poor sisters was founded here in the reign of Henry III. by Walter, then vicar of this parish. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1798. Fossil remains abound in the neighbourhood, consisting of ammonites and bones of large extinct quadrupeds. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, valued in the king's books at £4 8s. 4d. The church is ancient. The register commences in 1558. The charities, arising partly from land and cottages, produce about £30 per annum, and are applied to repairs of the church and relief of the poor. Joseph Simpson, Esq., is lord of the manor."