"MARCH is a parish and market town and the head of a county court district and petty sessional division, with an important junction station on the Great Eastern and Great Northern railways, 88 miles from London by rail, 29 north from Cambridge, 14 north-west from Ely and 9 south from Wisbech, in the Northern division of the county, hundred and union of North Witchford, Isle of Ely, rural deanery of March and in the peculiar archidiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely.
The town is pleasantly situated on the banks of the Nene, which is here navigable, and facilitates the conveyance of coal, corn and timber to Cambridge, Wisbech, Lynn, Peterborough, St. Ives, Bedford and various other places.
A handsome bridge of one arch was erected over the river Nene towards the north end of the town in 1850. The High street, which is the chief thoroughfare, is continued over the bridge to Broad street on the north side of the Nene, and the High causeway is lined with a fine avenue of elm and other trees.
A Local Board of Health was formed here in 1851, under the Act, 14 and 15 Vict. c. 103 (1851), but under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894 (56 & 57 Vict. c. 73), the town is now governed by an Urban District Council of 12 members, and is lighted with gas from works the property of the March Gas and Coke Co. Limited. The Wisbech Water Works Company, by a provisional order, obtained in 1884, supply the town with water, which is brought through mains from Wisbech, a distance of 10 miles.
The town is now divided into four ecclesiastical parishes which, with three others, were formed out of the parish of Doddington subsequently to 1863, according to the provisions of the Doddington Rectory Division Acts, 10 and 11 Vict. c. 3 (1847) and 19 and 20 Vict. c. 1 (1856). The area of the entire civil parish is 19,669 acres of land and 108 of water; rateable value, £47,414; the area of the ecclesiastical parishes is:- St. Mary, 7,143; St John 3,485; St. Peter, 4,072.
The population of the civil parish and urban district in 1891 was 6,988; and the ecclesiastical parishes, viz.
St. John, 3,685; St. Mary, 634; St. Peter, 1,697 and St. Wendreda, 972.
See also March while in Doddington Parish."