Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"MELBOURN, a parish in the hundred of Armingford, county Cambridge, 3 miles north-east of Royston, and 10½ from Cambridge. The village, which is large, is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of various quality. The manufacture of straw-plait is carried on. An Enclosure Act was obtained in 1839. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £860, and the vicarial for £220. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £250, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to All Saints, an ancient structure built by Henry VII., contains several monuments to the Birch family. The register dates from 1558. The parochial charities produce about £165, of which £109 goes to Trigg's school, and £7 to Ayloffe's school. There is a school for both sexes, on the Lancasterian system, also an infant school. The Independents and Baptists have places of worship. Near the churchyard is an elm-tree of remarkable antiquity. John Hitch, Esq., and the Dean and Chapter of Ely, are lords of the manor."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The Monumental Inscriptions for All Saints old churchyard 1791-1949 and the new churchyard 1850-1993 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office as are those in the Independent churchyard 1769-1952. The Monumental Inscriptions are available from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of All Saints is a building of flint in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south transept, large south porch with parvise and an embattled western tower with four crocketed pinnacles and a small spire and containing a clock and 5 bells: the chancel and nave, as well as the tower, are embattled: there are monuments to Mary Hatton, 1760; Richard Hitch, 1716; Elizabeth Hatton, 1720; and Thomas Trigg, 1819; and a memorial window to the Hitch family, who have been owners of land in the county for upwards of three hundred years: the organ was presented in 1858, and in 1884 the church was restored at a cost of £2,300, chiefly furnished by the Late John Hampden Fordham esq. there are 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558."
- "The Congregational chapel, erected in 1866, at a cost of £2,500, on a site given by the Rev. A. C. Wright, then minister, will seat 800 persons: the old chapel is retained for Sunday school purposes and public meetings. The Baptist chapel, a spacious building with school rooms in the rear, and restored in 1868, has 625 sittings. The Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1874, is now occupied by the Salvation Army."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Church of England
- Melbourn, All Saints: Records of baptisms 1558-1977, marriages 1559-1999, burials 1559-1679, 1697-1977 and banns 1754-1809, 1839-1958 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1600, 1619-82, 1703-1846 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms, marriages and burials 1558-1851. The parish record transcripts for All Saints 1558-1851 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- Independent Church
- Melbourn Independent Church: Records exist for baptisms 1800-41 and burials 1810-1916 (on microfilm). Indexed transcripts of these records exist for baptisms 1800-37 and burials 1810-37.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Melbourn which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL382446 (Lat/Lon: 52.082469, 0.015458), Melbourn which are provided by:
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1810-1948.