Geographical and Historical information from the year 1900.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]
"MELBOURN is a parish and large village, on the road from London to Cambridge, 1 mile south from Meldreth and Melbourn station on the Hitchin and Cambridge line of the Great Northern railway, 3 miles north-east from Royston and 41 from London, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Armingford, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Shingay and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely: the village is lighted with gas.
The soil is clayey and clunchy, and the subsoil, clay, gravel and clunch. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, oats and peas. The area is 4,725 acres; assessable value, £4,688; the population in 1891 was 1,649 in the civil and 1,507 in the ecclesiastical parish. Under the provisions of the Divided Parishes Act, a part of Melbourn was transferred to Meldreth in 1882."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]