[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"MELDRETH is a parish and straggling village on branch of the river Rhea, with a station on the Hitchin and Cambridge line of the London and North Eastern railway, 4 miles north-by-east from Royston, 9½ south-west from Cambridge and 42 from London, in the hundred of Armingford, petty sessional division Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Shingay and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
A cement company here provides work for a large number of the inhabitants. The soil is loam; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are fruit, wheat, barley, beans and winter oats. The area is 2,515 acres the population in 1921 was 572 in the civil and 527 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Under the provisions of the Divided Parishes Act a part of Meldreth was in 1882 added to Melbourn."