"MEPAL, a parish in the hundred of South Witchford, county Cambridge, 6 miles west of Ely, its post town, and 5 south-east of Chatteris railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the rivers Old and New Bedford, and is wholly agricultural. The land is principally in pasture and common. The tithes of Mepal have been commuted for a rent-charge of £270. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £280, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, in which are many relics of great antiquity. The register dates from 1790. The charities produce about £173, of which £1.60 is realised from poor's land, and £15 to a school. There are two dame-schools. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship."