Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"MILTON, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 3½ miles north-east of Cambridge, its railway station and post town, and 12½ from Ely. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Ely railway and the river Cam, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil is strong, and the subsoil chiefly clay and gravel. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £500, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is of great antiquity, and has a tower containing three bells. The interior of the church has a brass of Justice Coke bearing date 1553. The charities produce about £70 per annum. The register dates from the middle of the 17th century."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of All Saints is a building of rubble and stone in mixed styles, with some remains of Norman work, and exhibits various peculiarities of construction: it consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, south porch and a western tower of the Late Decorated period containing a clock and 3 bells: the north aisle, which had been demolished, was rebuilt in 1864: the chancel retains its Norman arch and a double piscina, which, however, has been mutilated by the insertion in the Perpendicular period of three graduated sedilia: there are some good miserere benches: the altar-rails were brought from King's College chapel, Cambridge, and on the north side is an altar tomb with a brass, dated 1553: the nave dates from about the year 1300 and is of Late Geometric character: on the south side of the chancel arch is a singular recess, possibly a hagioscope: in the church is a fine monument by Flaxman to Mrs. Knight, d. 1800, and one by Chantrey to Mr. Samuel Knight, d. 1829: a stained window was placed in the north aisle in 1892 by the Rev. John Chapman, rector, to the memory of his wife, who died in 1889: there are 269 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1707; marriages, 1754; burials, 1709. The living, which had formerly a rector and vicar, is now a con-solidated rectory, net income £365, with residence, in the gift of King's College, Cambridge, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Charles Stanley Phillips M.A., D.D. of that college. There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1865, with sittings for 150 persons, and a village institute." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Milton, All Saints: Records of baptisms 1705-1941, marriages 1705-32, 1754-1967, burials 1710-1896 and banns for 1754-1923 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for Bishop's Transcripts 1599-1705, baptisms 1705-1870, marriages 1754-1870 and burials 1710-60, 1768-1870, the parish register transcripts, 1599-1871, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1872 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Milton which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL473628 (Lat/Lon: 52.243639, 0.156056), Milton which are provided by:
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32 and 1880-1948.