GENUKI Home page

Up Ely Contents Contents



Ely - Schools

Ely Theological College

"Ely Theological College, found in 1876, is a handsome building of red brick with stone facings, in the Gothic style, and was opened in 1881 for 20 students. A marble effigy of the late Bishop Woodford was placed in a niche on the outside wall of the chapel in 1886, by the principal and students. The usual period of training for graduates is one year, lectures being given daily, except on Saturdays and Saints' days, by the principal, vice-principal and chaplain. The students preach regularly at the district church at Adelaide Bridge, besides reading the lessons in the city churches; they also give cottage lectures at the almshouses. A sum of 270 a year is offered by the bishop in bursaries to deserving students. The college is under the direction of a principal, vice-principal and chaplain; the bishop of the diocese being the visitor. The Rev. Berkeley William Randolph M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford, and hon. canon of Ely, has been principal since 1891."

"Ely Theological College; visitor, the Bishop of the Diocese; principal, Rev. Berkeley William Randolph M.A.; vice-principal, Rev. Gerald Wybergh Douglas M.A.; chaplain & bursar, Rev. Arthur Henry Owen McCheane M.A."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1900]

The Cathedral Grammar School - King's School

"The Cathedral Grammar School, commonly called "The Kings' School, Ely," founded in the 11th century, & refounded by King henry VIII. in 1543, now numbers amongst its buildings the stately structure anciently forming the principal entrance to the monastery, & generally known as " Ely Porta ; " it stands a little to the south of the cathedral, & is a rectangular pile of three storeys, with square embattled turrets at the angles: the gateway consists of a single deep arch, with a postern on the south, & above, in the third storey, is a Decorated window of three lights, flanked on either aide by two canopied niches: the remaining windows are small & of two lights each: this gatehouse is said to have been begun about 1366, in the time of Prior Buckton, & was still unfinished in 1397; in 1873 the upper storey was thrown into a single chamber, to serve as a schoolroom, a fives court constructed & the porter's lodge enlarged, & in 1880-1 a hostel of brick & stone, in the Gothic style, called "Hereward Hall," was erected from designs by Mr. Carpenter, architect, on the west side, to hold 80 boys; in 1906 the school was enlarged by the addition of science laboratories & an art room. In 1921 the Old Tythebarn was converted into a gymnasium & workshop. The Head Master's house, in the college, provides for 20 boarders, & includes amongst other interesting buildings the "Fare Hall," which, in the reign of Edward III. was used as a place of entertainment; there are now (1929) about 156 boys, mainly boarders. Among the eminent men educated here may be named James Bentham M.A. author of the " History of Ely Cathedral;" attached to the school are six entrance & four leaving scholarships. Rev. Canon T. J. Kirkland B.Sc.Lond., A.K.C., A.I.C., F.C.S. head master; E. Crichton-Wodehonse, secretary"
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Cathedral Choristers' School

"Cathedral Choristers' School, College, for 24 boys, built in 1862, is a building of stone in the college, on the north side of the cathedral, & is supported by the Dean & Chapter; Rev. R. S. N. Lee M.A. master"
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

National School (boys & girls) - Silver street

"National (boys & girls'), Silver street, for 324 boys & 324 girls; average attendance, 235 boys & 250 girls; James S. Barnett, master; Miss Jane Hughes, mistress."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1900]

National School (mixed) - Adelaide Bridge

"National (mixed), Adelaide Bridge, built in 1884, for 100 children; average attendance, 53; Ebenezer Gooden, master."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1900]

Needhams School (Boys' Free)

"Needham's charity provides education and clothing for poor boys of Ely, and was founded by Mrs. Catherine Needham, of Aylesbury, in 1734, who left land in the parish, originally producing 80 yearly, but now bringing in about 250 a year, for this purpose. This school was reorganized Sept. 5, 1910; there are scholarships for boys of 12 years of age, which may be given each year, who receive free education and maintenance exhibitions to the value of 2 a year for three years. The charity is managed by a body of governors, now comprising the Dean of Ely and others; treasurer, J. Smith esq. ; schoolmaster, Mr. F. Thrower."

"Needhams, Back hill, founded in 1734 by Mrs Catherine Needham, of Aylesbury, for the instruction, clothing & apprenticing of boys of Ely; it will hold 80 boys; Fred Thrower, master"
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

"Boys' Free, back hill, founded in 1790 by Mrs. Catherine Needham & affording instruction & clothing for 40 boys, free & for about 60 paying scholars; Henry Samuel Boyden, master."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1900]

High School for Girls

"High School for Girls, Bedford house, St. Mary's street (under the Isle of Ely County Council) Miss E. E. Fletcher B.A. head mistress"
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Infant School - Broad street

"Infant, Broad street, erected in 1863, for 150 children; average, 136; Miss Jane Elizh. Beazley, mist."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1900]

Infant School - Market street

"Infant, Market street, erected in 1868, for 230 children; average attendance, 185; Mrs. Emma Cross, Egremont street, mistress."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1900]

Return to the Ely page


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014