Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"NEWMARKET comprises the parishes of All Saints and St. Mary. Newmarket All Saints was part of Cambridgeshire until 1889 when it became part of Suffolk. Saint Mary's parish, which forms the remainder of Newmarket, has always been in Suffolk. It is a market and union town and the head of a county court district, with a station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 72 miles from London, the town being 60 miles distant by road, and 13 east-by-north from Cambridge. Newmarket comprises two civil parishes, All Saints and St. Mary's, and for parliamentary purposes is in the Bury St. Edmunds division of Suffolk, partly in Cheveley hundred, Cambridge, and partly in Lackford hundred, Suffolk; the High street divides the two counties; for administrative purposes the whole town is in West Suffolk; it is in the rural deanery of Newmarket, archdeaconry of Sudbury and dicoese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich.
Under the provisions of the Cambridgeshire and West Suffolk (Newmarket) Confirmation Order, 1895, that part of Wood Ditton parish in Suffolk was added to Newmarket All Saints for civil purposes.
The town was formerly governed by a Local Board and comprised within its area part of Wood Ditton and part of Exning (Suffolk), but under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894 (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), an Urban District Council was established and the whole of Exning included in the boundary. By the same Act the town was divided into five wards, three members for each ward It is lighted with gas from works in the Exning road, the property of the New-market Gas Co. and with electricity supplied by the Newmarket Electric Light Co. Ltd. from works also in Exning road. The water works, erected in 1883-4 by the Newmarket Water Works Co. Limited, include a covered reservoir on Warren hill, holding 250,000 gallons, supplied from a spring near Exning.
The population of the wards in 1921 was:- All Saints, 2,338; Exning, 1,653; St. Mary, 2,497; Severals, 2,031; Wood Ditton, 1,248; total, 9,767.
The population of the ecclesiastical parishes in 1921 was:- All Saints, 3,657; St. Mary, 2,692; Exning St. Agnes, 332.
By an Order in Council, gazetted August 15, 1911, part of Wood Ditton ecclesiastical parish, containing at the date of the census a population of 462, was trans-ferred to the ecclesiastical parish of All Saints, New-market.
By Local Government Board Order No.33,569, which came into operation October 5, 1895, the Rural parts of Exning and Wood Ditton civil parishes were added to Newmarket Urban District, and the Wood Ditton part was annexed to All Saints' civil parish."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]