Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Newmarket All Saints
NEWMARKET ALL SAINTS
"NEWMARKET ALL SAINTS, a parish in the town of Newmarket."
- The register of burials at Newmarket cemetery, 1858-1966, with indexes, 1858-1969, is held at the Suffolk Record Office. Monumental inscriptions for the church are held at the Cambridgeshire Archives.
- All Saints Church, Newmarket.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The parish of All Saints is in the Cheveley hundred, Cambridge. The church, erected in 1876-7, at a cost of £6,717, on the site of an older structure, as a memorial to Col. Lord George John Manners, of Cheveley Park, who represented the county of Cambridge in parliament for 20 years and died September 8, 1874. is a building of flint with Bath stone dressings in the Decorated style, and consists of nave of five bays, aisles. vestry, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 8 bells: there are nine stained windows, including the east and west windows: the handsome stone pulpit and beautiful carved oak lectern were both gifts, as well as an oak screen presented by the Hammond family: the chancel was enlarged in 1887 at a cost of £740, and a new east window erected and filled with stained glass in memory of the Rev. Thomas Romaine Govett S.C.L. vicar (1868-80): in 1908 two new vestries and an organ were added at a cost of about £1,000: there are about 800 sittings, all of which are free. The register dates from the year 1622." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Newmarket All Saints: Records of baptisms from 1622, marriages from 1633, burials from 1633 reside in the Suffolk Record Office. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1594-1640 and 1665-1836 can be found in the Suffolk Record Office and copies on microfilm for 1594-1640 and 1665-99 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives.
- Records of births 1787-1836 exist on microfilm at both the Cambridgeshire Archives and Suffolk Record Office.
- Methodist Church
- "Newmarket is celebrated for its races, racecourse and racing and training establishments, which are frequented by visitors from all parts of the country and the Continent: the course, on which several stands ham been erected, adjoins the town and extends to about 4 miles westward: there are generally from 1,500 to 2,000 horses in training on the Downs, where there is a remarkable earthwork, called "The Devil's Ditch," 4 or 5 miles long, and consisting of a deep foss and mound, with a slope of 52 feet on the south-west side and 26 feet on the north-east side, the whole being 100 feet in breadth. The Jockey Club is a body founded in the reign of George II. between 1727 and 1760; the club has buildings here containing suites of rooms for the use of the members during the race meetings which are held as follows: 1st, Craven meet-ing (April); 2nd, 1st Spring meeting; 3rd, 2nd Spring meeting (May); 4th, 1st July meeting; 5th, 2nd July meeting; 6th, 1st October meeting; 7th, 2nd October meeting; 8th, the Houghton meeting (October)."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- There is a local site for Newmarket town that incorporates a message board.
You can see pictures of Newmarket All Saints which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL238718 (Lat/Lon: 52.330295, -0.184638), Newmarket All Saints which are provided by:
- Records exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for Newmarket Union Workhouse for births 1866-1914.
- Two courts cover Newmarket All Saints as follows:
- Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury: Jurisidiction in various parishes including Newmarket All Saints which were in the diocese of Norwich until they were transferred to the diocese of Ely in 1837.
- Records are held at the Suffolk Record Office covering Wills, 1439-1857, administrations, 1544-46, 1568-93, 1605-12, 1630-1858, inventories, 1573-76, 1617, 1625, 1640, 1650-1747. Index to wills to 1535 are published in Proceedings of Suffolk Institute of Archaeology, volume 12 and of all records to 1700 in the Index Library of the British Records Society, volumes 95 and 96.
- Consistory Court of Norwich: Records are held at the Norfolk Record Office. Wills 1370-1857, administrations, 1370-1499, 1549-1640, 1666-1857, inventories, 1584-1846. There is an index to wills covering 1370-1857 published by the Norfolk Record Society, volumes 16, 21, 34, 38 and 47.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1801-7, 1829-32, 1878-88 and 1931-48.