|Newton in the Isle
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"NEWTON IN THE ISLE, a parish in the hundred of WISBEACH, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3 miles (N. N.W.) from Wisbeach, containing 368 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of St. Mary in the Marsh, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Bishop of Ely, rated in the king's books at £18. 14. 9. The church is dedicated to St. James. A college, or chantry, in honour of St. Mary, was founded here, in the reign, of Henry IV., by Sir John Colville, Knt., consisting of a warden, four chaplains, four clerks, and ten poor brethren, whose lands at the dissolution were annexed to the rectory of Newton."
"ST MARY IN THE MARSH, a chapelry in the parish of NEWTON IN THE ISLE, hundred of WISBEACH, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Wisbeach."