"NEWTON NEAR CAMBRIDGE, a parish in the hundred of Thriplow, county Cambridge, 6½ miles south of Cambridge, its post town, and 1½ mile from the Harston railway station. The parish, which is inconsiderable and wholly agricultural, is situated on the Barkway high road between Cambridge and London. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Act of Enclosure in 1798. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Hauxton, in the diocese of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a tower containing three bells. The church was restored in 1851, and has an ancient octagonal font. There is an endowed school. The Dean and Chapter of Ely are lords of the manor.