Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"OAKINGTON, a parish in the hundreds of Northstow and Chesterton, county Cambridge, 6 miles north-west of Cambridge, its post town, and 8 from St. Ives. It is a station on the Cambridge and Wisbech section of the Great Eastern railway. The parish contains the hamlet of Westwick. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The soil consists of a stiff loam, and the subsoil of clay. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £199, in the patronage of Queen's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a large stone structure, restored in 1850. The parochial charities produce about £50 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. The Baptists have a place of worship."
"WESTWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Oakington, county Cambridge, 5 miles north-west of Cambridge.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- St. Andrew's Church, Oakington.
- "The church of St. Andrew is a large edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and an embattlecd western tower containing 4 bells, of which the treble and third were cast in 1655 and the tenor in 1656, all three by Miles Graye, of Colchester; the second dated 1748: the south porch was destroyed in 1842: the church retains an ancient stone font consisting of a rudely arcaded basin, supported on five shafts, and there are three massive stone coffin lids, supposed to date from about 1350; these were found under the floor; one bears a fioriated cross: both aisles originally had chantries at the east end, and the north aisle still retains two niches: the tower, very well built of rubble masonry, with Barnack stone quoins, belongs to the Early Decorated period: the church was restored in 1885, at a cost of £1,000, under the direction of W.S Fawcett esq. M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, architect, and affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift Queens' College, Cambridge, and held since 1917 by the Rev. Aubyn Littledale M.A. of that college. The list of vicars dates from 1315.
- There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Oakington, St. Andrew: Records of baptisms 1561-1696, 1708-1930, marriages 1561-1696, 1708-1836, burials 1561-1696, 1708-1904 and banns 1754-1855 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts for baptisms 1561-1696, 1708-1858, marriages 1561-1993 and burials 1561-1696, 1708-1858, 1904-93 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The parish register transcripts for the years 1561-1858 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1691 and 1712-1853 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Oakington which are provided by:
- "The manor of Hockington was given in 946 by its owner, Turketyl or Thuraytel, chancellor of King Edred, to Crowland Abbey; it was devastated by the Panes in 1009, but the buildings were restored by Abbot Brittimer in 1018-48: the manor and rectory remained in the possession of Crowland Abbey till the surrender of the monastery December 8, 1539 ; in 1557 it was purchased by Queens' College, Cambridge. " [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL412645 (Lat/Lon: 52.260510, 0.067485), Oakington which are provided by:
- WESTWICK is now a parish in the hundred and union of Chesterton and Oakington ecclesiastical parish.
- The Oakington & Westwick History Society was formed in 2008. Their aim is to discover, collate & preserve the Local History, Genealogy & Archaeology of Oakington & Westwick for future generations. Information on meeting dates etc. is to be found on their website.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, and 1880-1948.