Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"OAKINGTON, properly Hockington, the place being really named after the Hocings, one of the royal tribes of Frisia mentioned in Beowulf and The Travellers Song, is a parish and village, with a station on the St. Ives and Cambridge branch of the London a North Eastern, railway; 64½ miles from London and 7 north-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Northstow, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of North Stowe and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The soil is stiff loam, and the subsoil clay. Wheat, barley, beans, peas, potatoes and turnips are the chief crops. The acreage of the entire civil parish is 1,692; the population in 1921 was 449 in the civil and 507 in the ecclesiastical parish."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]