[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"OAKINGTON, a parish in the hundreds of Northstow and Chesterton, county
Cambridge, 6 miles north-west of Cambridge, its post town, and 8 from St. Ives.
It is a station on the Cambridge and Wisbech section of the Great Eastern
railway. The parish contains the hamlet of Westwick. The inhabitants are
chiefly employed in agriculture. The soil consists of a stiff loam, and the
subsoil of clay. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value
£199, in the patronage of Queen's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated
to St. Andrew, is a large stone structure, restored in 1850. The parochial
charities produce about £50 per annum. There is a National school for both
sexes, also a Sunday-school. The Baptists have a place of worship."
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"WESTWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Oakington, county Cambridge, 5 miles
north-west of Cambridge.
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- St. Andrew's Church, Oakington.
- "The church of St. Andrew is a large edifice of stone in the Early English style,
consisting chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and an embattlecd western tower containing
4 bells, of which the treble and third were cast in 1655 and the tenor in 1656, all
three by Miles Graye, of Colchester; the second dated 1748: the south porch was destroyed
in 1842: the church retains an ancient stone font consisting of a rudely arcaded
basin, supported on five shafts, and there are three massive stone coffin lids, supposed
to date from about 1350; these were found under the floor; one bears a fioriated
cross: both aisles originally had chantries at the east end, and the north aisle
still retains two niches: the tower, very well built of rubble masonry, with Barnack
stone quoins, belongs to the Early Decorated period: the church was restored in 1885,
at a cost of £1,000, under the direction of W.S Fawcett esq. M.A. of Jesus College,
Cambridge, architect, and affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year
1561. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift
Queens' College, Cambridge, and held since 1917 by the Rev. Aubyn Littledale M.A.
of that college. The list of vicars dates from 1315.
- In a garden near the church are the graves of three Puritan ministers,
Joseph Oddy 1687, Francis Holcroft 1692, and Henry Osland 1711.
- There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Oakington, St. Andrew:
Records of baptisms 1561-1696, 1708-1930, marriages 1561-1696, 1708-1836, burials
1561-1696, 1708-1904 and banns 1754-1855 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed
transcripts for baptisms 1561-1696, 1708-1858, marriages 1561-1993 and burials 1561-1696,
1708-1858, 1904-93 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The parish register
transcripts for the years 1561-1858 are available on microfiche from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1691 and 1712-1853 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- "The manor of Hockington was given in 946 by its owner, Turketyl or Thuraytel, chancellor
of King Edred, to Crowland Abbey; it was devastated by the Panes in 1009, but the
buildings were restored by Abbot Brittimer in 1018-48: the manor and rectory remained
in the possession of Crowland Abbey till the surrender of the monastery December
8, 1539 ; in 1557 it was purchased by Queens' College, Cambridge. "
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
WESTWICK is now a parish in the hundred and union of Chesterton and Oakington ecclesiastical parish.
Oakington & Westwick History Society was formed in 2008. Their aim is to discover, collate & preserve the Local History,
Genealogy & Archaeology of Oakington & Westwick for future generations. Information on meeting dates etc. is to be found
on their website.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, and 1880-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014