"ORWELL, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, county Cambridge, 7 miles north of Royston, and 3 north of Shepreth, its railway station. Arrington is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Roman road, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is of a clayey and chalky nature with a subsoil of gualt, clay, and limestone. The rectorial and vicarial tithes have been reunited under the authority of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £313, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, or, according to others, to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure with a tower containing a clock and five bells. There are monuments of Professor Stubbs and Mason, formerly rectors of this parish. The parochial charities produce about £132, of which £50 goes to Colbatch's school. A school-house was erected on the site of the older one in 1853, at which the Sunday-school is also held. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans. At Malton, anciently a district parish, are remains of a church now used as a barn. Captain Bendyshe is lord of the manor."