[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"OUTWELL, a parish, partly in the hundred of WisBEACH, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, and partly in the hundred of CLACKCLOSE, county of NORFOLK, 5 miles (S. B.) from Wisbeach, containing 954 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at £16, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. Clement, is a very handsome structure. This parish is remarkable for its extensive market-gardens, the produce of which is conveyed by the Nene, which runs through the village, to many of the towns situated on that river. A school is supported by annual subscriptions. Molycourt priory, or the chapel of St. Mary de Bello Loco, which was situated in this parish, was founded before the Conquest, for Benedictine monks; but its revenue having considerably diminished, Henry VI. appropriated it to the priory of Ely, and it continues parcel of the possessions of that see."