"PAMPISFORD, (or Pampsworth), a parish in the hundred of Chilford, county Cambridge, 7½ miles south by east of Cambridge, its post town, and 1 mile east of Whittlesford station on the Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of a gravelly nature, with a subsoil of chalk and gravel. The land is almost wholly arable, except about 150 acres of pasture. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1799. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £85. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has a spired tower containing four bells. It is situated in the centre of the village. The parochial charities produce about £35 per annum. There is a commodious school, which was built at the expense of W. P. Hammond, Esq.