Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"PAPWORTH AGNES, (erroneously Papworth St. Agnes) a parish partly in the hundred of Papworth, county Cambridge, and partly in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 4 miles south-east of Huntingdon, and 8 north-east of St. Neot's railway station. St. Ives is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, and wholly agricultural, is situated on the line of the ancient Ermine Street, near the old north road. There is a mineral spring of saline chalybeate properties, which at one time was in great repute. The greater part of the surface consists of a wooded valley, sheltered on all sides by hills, which rise to the height of 100 feet. About one-fourth of the land is in grass, and the remainder arable, except a small portion of plantation. The soil is chiefly clay and loam. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £293, and the glebe contains 70 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £300. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is situated in Cambridgeshire, and was entirely rebuilt in the last century. The manor belonged to a family of the name of Russell, in King John's time, and subsequently came to the Papworth and Mallory families, and finally became the property of Arthur Sperling, Esq., the present owner. The old Manor House exhibits many traces of its ancient magnificence, especially in its fretted ceilings and substantial masonry.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Papworth Agnes is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- The 1841 Census of that part of Papworth Agnes Parish which was in Huntingdonshire is included in fiche format as Fiche Set C93 (Fenstanton, Hilton & Papworth St Agnes)
- The full 1891 Census ofPapworth Agnes Parish is available as fiche set C14.
- The last two fiche sets mentioned above are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- "The church of St. John the Baptist, built on the site of a more ancient structure, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 2 hells: the tower was rebuilt in 1848 and the chancel and nave in 1854, in the Decorated style, by the Rev. H. J. Sperling, then rector: the east window is stained, and the nave contains four memorial windows to the Sperling family: there are 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Papworth Agnes, St. John the Baptist: Records of baptisms 1558-1616, 1695-1725, 1744-1965, marriages 1558-1616, 1695-1726, 1744-1959, burials 1558-1616, 1695-1730, 1745-1995 and banns 1755-1808, 1863-1947 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts for baptisms 1558-1616, 1695-1730, 1744-1955, 1965, marriages 1558-1939 and burials 1558-1616, 1695-1730, 1745-1975 reside in the Cambridge and Huntingdon Record Offices. Parish register transcripts of Papworth Agnes, St. John the Baptist, 1558-1975, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1642, 1652-83, 1711-29 and 1744-1841 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives, Bedford and Huntingdon Record Offices for the St. Neots Primitive Circuit of which Papworth Agnes is part.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Papworth Agnes which are provided by:
- "The manor of Russells, in this parish, belonged in the reign of King John to a family of that name, from whom it passed successively to the families of Papworth and Mallory; it is now the property of Arthur H. B. Sperling esq. J.P. who is the sole landowner." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL267643 (Lat/Lon: 52.262241, -0.144922), Papworth Agnes which are provided by:
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. The portin of records for Cambridgeshire reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and the Huntingdonshire portion 1767, 1798-1800 (on microfilm), 1806, 1812-32 in the Huntingdon Record Office. Records for the whole parish for the years 1798-99 (on microfilm) and 1946-48 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.