Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Papworth Agnes, Cambridgeshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"PAPWORTH AGNES, a parish partly in the hundred of TOSELAND, county of HUNTINGDON, but chiefly in the hundred of PAPWORTH, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Caxton, containing 74 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £9. 16. 3., and in the patronage of Henry Piper Sperling, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is in Cambridgeshire. From the extensive ruins scattered throughout the parish, Papworth appears to have been formerly a place of considerable importance, and the remains of the old manor-house, now a farm-house, still exhibit vestiges of decayed magnificence. There is a saline chalybeate spring in the parish, which at one time was in great repute."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]