Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"PAPWORTH AGNES is a parish, on the border of Huntingdonshire, 4½ miles south-east from Offord and Buckden station on the main line of the London and North Eastern railway, about 8 north-east from St Neots, about 14 west from Cambridge and 5 south-east from Huntingdon, in the hundreds of Papworth and Toseland, petty sessional division of Caxton, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Huntingdon, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
This parish was formerly partly in Hunts, but under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1888 (51 and 52 Vict. C. 41), it became, from Sept.30, 1895, wholly in Cambridgeshire.
The soil is heavy clay; subsoil, blue gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and beans. The area is 1,298 acres; the population in 1921 was 116.
By Local Government Board Order No, 47,259, which came into operation Oct. 8th, 1904, part of Papworth St. Agnes was transferred to Papworth Everard.
PAPWORTH AGNES, Partly in Cambridgeshire and partly in Huntingdonshire until 1895 since when it has been wholly in Cambridgeshire. Often erroneously called Papworth Saint Agnes."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]