"RAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 7 miles north-west of Cambridge, its post town, and 2 north-east of the Stanton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Ouse, and is wholly agricultural. Rampton was anciently a market town. A portion of the land is in pasture. The waste lands were enclosed under an Act of Parliament in 1839. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £342. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is built of rubble, with a tower containing two bells. The register dates from the latter part of the 16th century. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. There is a National school, of recent erection. The Baptists have a place of worship. Henry Effingham, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
The church of All Saints is a small rubble building in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the chancel arch is Transitional Norman, the bold and low piers of the nave Early English, the chancel Decorated and the tower Perpendicular: the chancel has am aumbry and piscina: the south aisle also retains piscina, and there is a low-side window with an iron grating: under an arched recess in the north wall of the chancel is a recumbent effigy, c. 1350, representing one of the De Lisle family, former lords of this place in the nave is a slab with floriated cross and inscription in Lombardic characters to Sir Nicholas de Huntingdon, c. 1330, and on the tower is a sun-dial; the roof of the nave is thatched, but has timber framing of fine English oak: the church was partially restored and re-seated in 1900-1915 : the chancel was re-roofed and the north and south walls raised to their original height in 1910: there are 130 sittings. The register dates from the year 1678, but there is a transcript dating from the year 1599. [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Rampton, Holy Trinity: Records of baptisms 1674-1965, marriages 1675-1931, burials 1674-1812 and banns for 1754-88 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1643 and 1653-1854 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexes to transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1599-1811, marriages 1599-1809, and burials 1599-1812. These were published in Transactions of Cambs and Hunts Archaeological Society, volume 1, 1902 with additions and corrections for baptisms, marriages and burials for the years 1674-1812. Index transcripts also exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for 1813-51. Non-indexed transcripts also exist for baptisms 1599-1811, marriages 1599-1809, and burials 1599-1812 at Huntingdon Record Office.
Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives for the Cambridge Wesleyan Circuit of which Rampton is part.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Rampton which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, and 1880-1948.