"RAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 7 miles north-west of Cambridge, its post town, and 2 north-east of the Stanton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Ouse, and is wholly agricultural. Rampton was anciently a market town. A portion of the land is in pasture. The waste lands were enclosed under an Act of Parliament in 1839. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £342. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is built of rubble, with a tower containing two bells. The register dates from the latter part of the 16th century. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. There is a National school, of recent erection. The Baptists have a place of worship. Henry Effingham, Esq., is lord of the manor."