Geographical and Historical information from the year 1900.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]
"SAWSTON is a large parish and village, on the river Cam and on the road from London to Cambridge, 1½ miles north from Whittlesford station on the London and Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway, 7 south from Cambridge, 6 north-west from Linton and 7 north-west from Saffron Walden, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Whittlesford, union and petty sessional division of Linton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Camps, south division, and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The village is lighted by subscription with gas, first used in November, 1882; the works, erected in 1867, are the property of Mr. James Hunter. It is supplied with water from artesian wells.
The soil is chalky; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,884 acres of land and 14 of water rateable value £8,611; the population in 1891 was 1,882."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]