"SAWSTON, a parish in the hundred of Whittlesford, county Cambridge, 6 miles north-west of Linton, and 1 mile from the Whittlesford station on the Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the river Grants and the London and Cambridge road. It was formerly a market town, and has still remains of the market cross. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in an extensive paper mill, and others in the manufacture of parchment. Queen Mary spent some time at the ancient manor house of the Huddleston family, which is situated in this parish. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1802. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £170. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £169 per annum, of which £108 goes to Huntingdon's almshouses. There is a National school, also a place of worship for Independents."