[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"SHEPRETH, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, county Cambridge, 6 miles north of Royston, its post town. It is a station on the Great Northern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Cam, and is chiefly agricultural. Shepreth was formerly held by Chatteriz nunnery. The soil is of a clayey and gravelly nature, upon a subsoil of chalk. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £306, and the vicarial for £91. The impropriate glebe comprises 185 acres, and the vicarial 12 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £97. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains monuments of the Layer family. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum, exclusive of allotments. There is a free school for both sexes. The Independents have a place of worship. This parish consists of four manors."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]