[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"SHINGAY, a parish in the hundred of ARMINGFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6 miles (N. W. byN.) from Royston, containing 86 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Wendy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem was founded here in 1140, the revenue of which, at the suppression, was estimated at £ 175. 4. 6."