[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"SHINGAY (or Shengy) is a parish and village, about 6 miles north from Ashwell station on the Hitchin, Royston and Cambridge branch of the London and North Eastern railway, and 6 south from Potton station on the Sandy and Cambridge section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 5½ north-west from Royston and 45 from London, in the hundred of Armingford, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Shingay and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The soil is of a rich loamy character, and the subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 768 acres; the population in 1921 was 40."