GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

SHINGAY

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"SHINGAY, a parish in the hundred of Armingford, county Cambridge, 7 miles north-west of Royston, and 6 north of Ashwell railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Cam, and is wholly agricultural. Here was formerly a preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem, founded by Roger de Montgomery's daughter Sybilla in 1140. Its revenue at the suppression was valued at £175. The soil is rich and loamy, with a subsoil of clay. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Wendy, in the diocese of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary (later known as All Saints). The Earl of Hardwick is lord of the manor and sole landowner.

See Wendy cum Shingay for more information

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Census

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

History

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014