Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"SHUDY-CAMPS, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-east of Linton, its post town, and 8 miles north-east of Audley End railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Via Devana, near a branch of the river Cam. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £146, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing five bells. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- St. Mary's Church, Shudy Camps.
- "The church of St. Mary, an edifice of rubble in the Perpendicular style, is said to have been originally built about the year 1060; it consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells, and was restored during the period 1870-91, at a cost of £540: there are 240 sittings, 145 being free. The register dates from the year 155l." [Kelly's Directory- Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Shudy Camps, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1558-1862, marriages 1560-1969, burials 1561-1942 and banns for 1754-1907 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcriptions of baptisms, marriages and burials for the years 1558-1841 (marriages to 1837) reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and these transcripts, 1558 -1841, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1858 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Shudy Camps which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL619447 (Lat/Lon: 52.076949, 0.361088), Shudy Camps which are provided by:
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1759-63, 1789-1846, 1865-1948.