Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"SHUDY CAMPS is a parish and village on the borders of Suffolk and Essex, 2½ miles east from Bartlow station on the Cambridge and Melford branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 3½ south-west from Haverhill, 4 south-east from Linton and 16 south-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Chilford, union and potty sessional division of Linton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
Shudy Camps Park is the seat of the Rev. Canon Thornton F.R.G.S., J.P.; the mansion, standing in the park, is a substantial edifice of red brick. The Rev. Canon Thornton is the principal landowner. The soil is clay, subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2,362 acres; the population in 1921 was 261."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]