"SNAILWELL, a parish in the hundred of Staploe, county Cambridge, 3 miles north of Newmarket, its railway station and post town, and 68 from London. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £535. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure with a tower containing two bells. The register dates from 1629."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
The Census Records from 1841, 1861-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives, the 1851 census was lost at source. In addition the 1861 Census for Snailwell is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The 1851 census for Snailwell was lost at source.
"The church of St. Peter is an edifice of flint with stone quoins and windows, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a round western tower of Norman work containing 2 bells: the handsome reredos was presented in 1878 by the late William Montagu Tharp esq. as a memorial to his father; several stained windows being given at the same time by the family of the Rev. J N. Hill, a former rector, by the late William Montagu Tharp esq. and by the members and friends of the family of the late rector: the vestry was also built by the late rector's family, whose friends defrayed the cost of the mural decorations which cover the whole of the interior: the church was completely restored in 1878-9, and affords 130 sittings: in the churchyard is a stone tomb of a priest of the 15th century, with a cross on the upper slab, discovered in the wall of the south aisle during the restoration. The register dates from the year 1629."
"The rectory house was partly destroyed by lightning 3 July, 1908. [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Snailwell, St. Peter: Records of baptisms 1629-1899, marriages 1599-1915, burials 1558-1922 and banns 1754-1814, 1823 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcriptions of baptisms 1629-1901, marriages 1629-1901 and burials 1629-1903 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and these transcripts, 1629-1903, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1570-1641 and 1663-1845 can be found in the Suffolk Record Office and copies on microfilm for 1570-1641 and 1663-99 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Snailwell which are provided by:
Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury: Jurisidiction in various parishes including Snailwell which were in the diocese of Norwich until they were transferred to the diocese of Ely in 1837.
Records are held at the Suffolk Record Office covering Wills, 1439-1857, administrations, 1544-46, 1568-93, 1605-12, 1630-1858, inventories, 1573-76, 1617, 1625, 1640, 1650-1747. Index to wills to 1535 are published in Proceedings of Suffolk Institute of Archaeology, volume 12 and of all records to 1700 in the Index Library of the British Records Society, volumes 95 and 96.
Consistory Court of Norwich: Records are held at the Norfolk Record Office. Wills 1370-1857, administrations, 1370-1499, 1549-1640, 1666-1857, inventories, 1584-1846. There is an index to wills covering 1370-1857 published by the Norfolk Record Society, volumes 16, 21, 34, 38 and 47.
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1710, 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32.