[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"SNAILWELL is a parish and village, 2½ miles north from Newmarket station on the London and North Eastern railway, in the hundred of Staploe, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Newmarket, rural deanery of Fordham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
An unknown donor left for firing, 33 acres of fen land, and a small allotment of arable land for the poor of the parish. Mrs. W. Montagu Tharp is ladv of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 2,034 acres; the population in 1921 was 208."