SOUTHEA WITH MURROW
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"SOUTHEA WITH MURROW is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1870 from the civil parishes
of Parson Drove and Wisbech St. Mary, in the hundred, union, petty sessional division,
county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese Ely."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"MURROW is 6 miles south-west of Wisbech,
and has a station on the London and
North Eastern railway and one on the Midland and Great Northern joint railway.
The soil is clay and silt; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley,
oats, potatoes, beans, mustard, and fruit. The population in 1921 was 1,312."
comprises a great portion of the hamlet of Parson Drove, and is about
1 mile north from the Murrow railway stations."
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives and
also in Wisbech Library under both Parson Drove and Wisbech St Mary.
- "The church of Emmanuel, at Southea, erected in 1872, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners,
is a structure of brick with stone facings in the Early English style, and consists
of large apsidal chancel, nave, north aisle and a western turret containing one bell:
in the church are four chandeliers, formerly in St. Paul's Cathedral. and presented
to this church by the Dean and Chapter: there are 373 sittings. The register at Murrow
dates from the year 1858, and that for Southea from the year 1873. The living of
Southea-with-Murrow is a vicarage, net yearly value £552, with residence, and including
1 acre of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and held since 1924 by the Rev.
James Percie Hutchons A.K.C
- The chapel of Corpus Christi, at Murrow, erected in 1857, is a small structure of
brick in the Earkly English style, and consists of small apsidal chancel, nave, south
porch and a turret at the west end containing one bell: there are 100 sittings.
- A chapel was founded at Murrow about the year 1370, but has long since been destroyed:
the site is still known as "Chapel Hill." There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at
Murrow, and Wesleyan and United Methodist chapels and Salvation Army barracks at
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- All churches:
Records of baptisms 1873-1950, marriages 1873-1970, burials 1873-1940 and banns
for 1873-1958 reside in the Wisbech Museum.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014