"STAPLEFORD, a parish in the hundred of Thriplow, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-east of Cambridge, its post town, and 55 from London. The village is situated on the river Granta. The soil is gravelly. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture and the manufacture of strawplait. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £131, in the patronage off the dean and chapter. The church is an ancient edifice dedicated to St. Andrew. The living was once held by Bentham, the antiquary, who died here in 1794. The church contains a brass of W. Lee, bearing date 1617. The parochial charities produce about £27 per annum. Gog-Magog Hills is the principal residence."