Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"STEEPLE-MORDEN, a parish in the hundred of Armingford, county Cambridge, 5 miles north-west of Royston, its post town, and 16 from Cambridge. The village is situated on the river Cam. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £200, in the patronage of New College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure, containing two brasses of priests. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum, realised from town lands."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of SS, Peter sad Paul is a building of stone and flint in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a low south tower with shingled spire containing one bell: the organ was presented by the Rev. R. E. Green B.A. vicar 1886-1902: the church was restored in 1869 at a cost of £2,500, and affords 320 sittings. In the church yard is a cross of Portland stone, erected in memory of the men connected with this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The register dates from the year 1675."
- "There is a Wesleyan chapel rebuilt in 1863, and a public recreation ground."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire 1929]
- Church of England
- Steeple Morden, Ss Peter and Paul: Records of baptisms 1675-1876, marriages 1675-1840, burials 1675-1754, 1765-1934 and banns 1754-1810, 1824-1955 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts of baptisms and burials 1599-41, 1660-1851 and marriages 1599-41, 1660-1840 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The parish register transcripts for the years 1599-1851 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1640, 1660-84, 1720-1835 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Methodist Church
- Wesleyan Methodist Church: There is a Wesleyan Methodist Index of baptisms for the years 1858-1978 for Steeple Morden which resides in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the baptisms from the Biggleswade Wesleyan Circuit, Bedfordshire for Steeple Morden have been transcribed for the years 1838-97.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm) and 1810-1948.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Steeple Morden which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL285420 (Lat/Lon: 52.061441, -0.126996), Steeple Morden which are provided by: