Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"STEEPLE MORDEN is a parish, on the borders Hertfordshire; the village is 3 miles north from Ashwell station on the Hitchin, Royston and Cambridge section of the London and North Eastern railway (which is within the boundary of this parish), 43 miles from London and 5 north-west from Royston, in the hundred of Armingford, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Shingay, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The manor of Steeple Morden was formerly owned by the Fitzwalter family. The principal land-owners are St. John's College, Cambridge, William F. Hunt esq. Francis William Bertram Parrish esq. and Messrs. John Inns & Sons. The Cambridge and Herts County Councils have acquired several hundred acres of land in this and the adjoining parish of Guilden Morden, for the purposes of small holdings. The soil is marl and chalk; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and peas. The area is 3,846 acres; the population in 1921 was 696."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]