[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"STOW-CUM-QUY, a parish in the hundred of Staine, county Cambridge, 5 miles
north-east of Cambridge, its post town. The village is situated near the ancient
Fleam Dyke. An Enclosure Act was obtained in 1839, when 4 acres were
appropriated for the purpose of recreation. The living is a perpetual
curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £52, in the patronage of the bishop.
The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about
£16 per annum. There is a village school supported by voluntary
contributions. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Dr. Jeremy Collier was born
here in 1650, and died in 1726."
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"QUY, a chapelry in the parish of Stow cum Quy, hundred of Staine, county Cambridge,
5 miles north-east of Cambridge."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. Mary, erected circa 1340, and situated close to the main road,
is an ancient embattled edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel,
clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled
western tower containing 5 bells: the nave arcades, with the exception of an Early
English arch to the south-east, are Decorated; the clerestory is Perpendicular; the
rood screen, of the same date, is in five compartments, and has been restored: the
north aisle, also Perpendicular, has some modern memorials to the Martin family,
of Quy Hall: both aisles have slight projections at their eastern ends, forming quasi-transepts:
each transept has a piscina: the font, an octagon, is Perpendicular, with blank shields
on the sides; the church contains a curious brass with effigies of a man in armour,
his wife (figure now lost), 12 sons and four daughters, and a mutilated inscription,
which when perfect commemorated John Ansty esq. formerly lord of this 'ville,' and
founder of Ansty's Chantrey, and Johanna his wife; he died circa 1465: there is also
a brass with arms and inscription to Edward Stern, 1641, and some 17th century slabs
inscribed to the Lawrence family: the chancel was rebuilt about 1740 by Thomas Martyn
esq. and the church thoroughly restored in 1879-82: in 1883 the churchyard wall was
rebuilt by Thomas Musgrave Francis esq. D.L., J.P. who in 1928 erected a tablet to
commemorate Jeremy Collier, the church historian, and two former vicars of Quy, Richard
Sterne, 1621-2, afterwards Archbishop of York, 1664-83, and Thomas Herring, 1719-21,
afterwards Archbishop of Canterbury, 1747-57: there are 230 sittings. The register
dates from the year 1650."
- "There is a small Wesleyan chapel here."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Stow-cum-Quy, St. Mary:
Records of baptisms 1649-1857, marriages 1650-1990, burials 1650-1902 and banns
1754-1810, 1820-1995 (there are also extracts for baptisms 1547, marriages 1541 and
burials 1539) reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, microfilm copies exist for baptisms,
marraiges and burials 1650-1875. Indexed transcripts for baptisms 1599-1900, marriages
1599-1900 and burials 1599-1902 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives with extracts
for baptisms, marriages and burails 1539-97. The indexed transcripts of the registers
are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1860 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Clare Grant has transcribed the parish records and will be happy to look up records for anyone if they email her.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1757-63, 1789-1837, 1880-92 and 1911-48.
- Hearth Tax:
- The hearth tax records for 1662 and 1664 are in the Cambridgeshire Archives [Julian Whybra, 2012]
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015