[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"STRETHAM, a parish in the hundred of South Witchford, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-west of Ely, its post town, and 12 from Cambridge. It is a station on the Ely, Haddenham, and Sutton branch of the Great Eastern railway. The village is near the rivers Ouse and Cam. The parish includes Stretham Fen and Thetford. The land is partly in common. The soil consists of clay and loam. In 1844 a large portion of the village was destroyed by fire. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Thetford annexed, in the diocese of Ely, value £756, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. James, has coats of arms carved in the roof, also an old font, and a brass to Joan Swan, bearing date 1-487. The parochial charities produce about £142 per annum. There is a free school, supported by the Rev. H. Baber. The Baptists and Wesleyans have chapels. There is also a chapel, dedicated to St. George, situated in the hamlet of Thetford. Mrs. Marsh and Mrs. Colonel Wilson are ladies of the manor. In the high road near the church is a stone cross."
"LITTLE THETFORD, (or Thetford) a chapelry in the parish of Stretham, hundred of South Witchford, county Cambridge, 3 miles south-west of Ely, its post town, and 2 from Stretham railway station. The village is situated on the Great Eastern railway, and at the ferry over the river Cain. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Stretham, in the diocese of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. George. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]