Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"STRETHAM, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of WITCHFORD, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4 miles (S.W. by S.) from Ely, containing, with the chapelry of Thetford, 1104 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Bishop of Ely, rated in the king's books at £22. The church is dedicated to St. James. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists."
"THETFORD, a chapelry in the parish of STRETHAM, southern division of the hundred of WITCHFORD, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 2. miles (S. by W.) from Ely, containing 229 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. George. Arms."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]